Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Restoration in a box. This could be the next best thing since typewriters

Elder Clark had to give up the computer last week before he got to write his email home, so here is the letter he sent home:

The title is a direct quote from my companion, Elder May. He has a wall of quotes, said by him, in our apartment.

We had a really amazing start to the New Year. New Years Eve day was another one of those fun days where everything doesn't go how it's supposed to. About 6:30 in the evening the people we have planned to visit were not answering their phone, so we just went anyway. When we got to this family's house (they're less active because they have to work every Sunday) we found out that their home teacher had just finished giving them a lesson and left. Then we arrived to share a message. The family shared their testimonies and how they felt so blessed by the Lord to receive 2 messages in one night. It's crazy how perfectly timed our arrival was at their house. It was absolutely perfect! It is amazing to me how the Lord makes things work down to the second.

After that visit, we went over to a less active part member's house. We were supposed to go over at 11:00 a.m. that morning, but they all weren't there so they told us 3:00 p.m. We went back at 3:00 and nobody was there, even though we called them and they said they were inside watching TV. But when we knocked again they didn't come to the door, so we thought they didn't want to see us. Despite this, we tried again at 8:00 p.m. and they were all home. We had talked to one of them a couple of days before about how their power had been shut off because they couldn't pay their bill. When we walked in that night we saw thy had nothing - no chairs, no couch, not table, no t.v. In one room, the only source of light was from the Christmas tree. We were able to share a message with them about faith. During the lesson, all the little kids were running around screaming while all the rest of us were sitting on the floor. One of the parents, through all the noise, turned to us and told us that they couldn't believe we came back that night after trying 2 times that day. She also told us that she had prayed for a sign of hope for the New Year, and that us coming was her answer, and she knows the church is true because of it.

That night, Elder May and I left feeling like we wanted to do something to help them, like find them a couch. As we were walking in the same complex we saw a couch by the dumpster. Elder May thought maybe we should take it over to their apartment, and I just thought we could get front row seats to the dumpster. Anyway, we left without doing anything with it. A couple of hours later, Elder May convinced me that the couch was really for them. So we went back and the couch was still in really great condition and even had the pop out foot recliner thing. Right when we were about to carry it over to their apartment, this nice hispanic man came by and helped us carry it. The family wasn't home, so we just left it outside their door in the apartment building. It was a fun adventure!

Later we snuck garbage of an investigator's porch because they told us not to take it, but we wanted to. (We're assuming this was an act of service)

So yeah, there is my awesome New Year beginning.

Muchas gracias a todos por todos,

Elder Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment